KNOWLEDGE + TRAINING + SKILLS + ENTHUSIASM = SUCCESS
HDAA Dental Assisting Program
- General Chair side & Dental Materials
- Infection Control, Pharmacology and Oral Anatomy
- Dental Office Management
HDAA Dental program prepares students for careers in dental assisting in a variety of settings including general and specialty practices, dental clinics and hospitals. Upon completion of this program, students will be prepared to enter the workforce with knowledge, skills and confidence. Students will learn front and back dental office skills, dental office management, emergency procedures, chairside assisting, radiology, and effective interpersonal communication. Students will:
- Be able to use dental terminology as appropriate to the situation.
- Demonstrate competence with compliance to HIPAA standards and OSHA guidelines in the dental office including standard precautions and principles of asepsis.
- Perform dental office administrative tasks professionally, ethically, and proficiently including the use of dental software, standard office applications, and the Internet.
- Perform basic chairside skills and clinical support required for a general or specialty dental practice including the ability to identify facial landmarks, chart existing conditions of the teeth and their diagnosed treatment and manipulate and handle dental materials proficiently.
- Demonstrate competence in taking a full-mouth set of clinically diagnosable x-rays observing radiation safety standards.
HDAA looks to bridge the gap between qualified assistants and the workforce. The HDAA program offers convenient Thursday classes at a fast-paced, intense, 15 week schedule that includes didactic instruction, laboratory and hands-on training in an actual dental office setting. In addition, the program provides 80 hours of externship.
The demand for dental assistants is strong and on the rise across Hawaii and the nation. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment is expected to increase 25% from the years 2012 to 2022.